Bedford Bike Friends
Ray Ruetenik, 1921-2011, former Bedford Friends and Bike Committee Chair, Obituary
Local News Highlights
- Town Meeting March 2011 approves additional funding to complete design of Minuteman Bikeway to Concord townline. Initial 2010 funding was to Concord Rd.
- Consultant VHB presents preliminary Minuteman Extension design options and issues, Dec. 2010
- All 11 miles of Minuteman Bikeway plowed first time 2010-11: Arlington and Lexington have plowed for 2-3 year. Bike Comm. recommends the successful pilot program become permanent
- Safe Routes To School (Bike/Walk) continues into its third year. Job Lane eligible for sidewalk/bike path project state funding
- Bike Repair classes thru Bedford Rec: 3 week courses: session I ends Apr 27; new session begins May; Rec Dept: 275-1392
- Mary Hurley led Bedford Rec spring bike rides in progress
- New Minuteman Bikeway information, kiosks, and maps: Bedford, Arlington and Lexington apply for grant to fund design
- Spire Corp (Wiggins Rd, Bedford) employees volunteer for monthly Bike Path trash pickup
Snow Plowing 2010-11, Safe Routes To School, Job Lane 2009-10
- Boston announces 'bike share' program for summer 2011. Modeled after programs in DC and Paris, it will begin with 600 bikes at 60 stations. Boston has added 38 miles of bike lanes since 2007.
- Mayor Menino declares "the automobile is no longer king in Boston"
- Bruce Freeman Rail Trail Friends after celebrating the opening of the first 7 miles in 2009, have been busy on the design and funding of Phase II extending the bike path through Acton, Concord, to Sudbury.
- Concord "Pedicab" (bicycle cab) pilot program under discussion. Would offer guide and transportation service similar to ones in scenic downtowns such as Newburyport, Salem, Boston, Provincetown, and Oak Bluffs on Martha’s Vineyard.
- Lexington League of Women Voters host "Complete Streets" discussion (Apr 1) led by Planning Board, Public Works, and Transportation Comm. members. Complete Streets (AKA Livable Streets) recognizes the importance of pedestrian and bicycle accommodation on town roads. In the old model, bicyclists and pedestrians were left to vie for the leftover space after the road was designed for motor vehicles.
- Battle Road Scenic Byway As part of an effort to make the Battle Road (Arlington to North Bridge) a "Scenic Byway", there will also be a study to improve bicycle accommodation in the area. The Minuteman Bikeway, the future West Lexington Greenway, the Minuteman National Park trails, and the Minuteman Extension in Bedford are all part of the off-road bike network being considered.
- May Bike Month
- Bike/Walk to School Day: May 4, Wed
- Bike Week: May 14-20, bike to school, work, shopping, for fun or fitness
- Bike Helmet Day (Bedford Police, Rotary, Bike Committee event): May 28th, rain date June 4th
Send us an email moc.liamg|ekiBdrofdeB#moc.liamg|ekiBdrofdeB with comments, questions, help with bike routes. We meet monthly, the first Wed, 7:30, Town Hall.
page revision: 24, last edited: 24 Apr 2011 23:17